• Enter data for your members affected by COVID-19 in the IAFF survey tracker so that we have a clearer picture of the impact of COVID-19 on our members and affiliates across the United States and Canada.
2. Personal Protective Equipment (PPE)
• Does your department have an appropriate stock of recommended PPE to include N-95 or P-100 masks, gloves, gowns that are long-sleeved and fluid-resistant, and eye protection?
• If no, review the following resources:
n Strategies for Optimizing the Supply of N95 Respiratorsn COVID-19 Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
n Extending the Life of Respiratory Protection
3. Dispatch Protocols
• Has your 9-1-1 agency modified caller queries to add questions regarding COVID-19?
• If no, review Interim Guidance for EMS Systems and 911 Public Safety Answering Points for COVID-19 in the United States
4. Response Protocols
• Has your department updated response protocols to reflect best practices and guidance from the IAFF and CDC? This includes the following actions:
• Don N-95 mask, gown, gloves and eye protection when responding to symptomatic or confirmed COVID-19 patients
• When possible, limit the number of personnel performing patient care
• Minimize patient contact in poorly ventilated areas (if possible and appropriate, conduct patient assessment outside the home)• When possible, patient assessment should be conducted 6 feet from patient
• If possible and tolerated, place a surgical mask on patients to minimize exposure
n If no, review What Healthcare Personnel Should Know about Caring for Patients with Confirmed or Possible COVID-19 Infection
• Has your department conducted training/refreshers on the following items?• Updated response protocols
• Proper methods for donning and doffing PPE
• Decontaminating apparatus, PPE and fire fighter/paramedic living quarters• Reuse of PPE